The history of the church monument and effigy is an interesting one from the humble origins of a carved headstone or tomb slab to the design and manufacture of lavish medieval monuments with polychrome schemes and stone canopies. The progression from early alabaster monuments to large mixed limestone, timber and gilded monuments presents many challenges and interesting programmes of treatment in modern conservation.
Cleaning monuments, repairing and even relocating monuments is a specialist field that Inspire Conservation currently provide services for. The sensitive handling and treatment of these unique pieces is paramount so with our high standards and accreditations you can be assured you are in safe hands.
As well as monument cleaning, we also provide:
– Condition survey of monuments
– Recommendations and advice on treatment programmes
– Monument cleaning with poultices, steam and other conservation treatments
– Monument repairs in stone and lime mortars
– Structural repairs and fracture repairs
– Relocation of monuments
– Gilding and polychrome scheme conservation and restoration